Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Happy Birthday Blog


It doesn’t take much of a detective to figure out that I published the first post here in March.

But, see, I have these places on the web that are my private refuge. I can go there whenever I want, and I can rant and I can rave and I can spew, and I am in the company of likeminded individuals, people whose experience mirror my own sometimes so closely that it can get scary.

And one of those places set us up with profile pages back around last December, and with profile pages came blogs, and so me and my southern confidante, we challenged each other.

"You gonna blog? "

"I dunno. You?"

Now she had a good head start on me. By the time I posted my first post on December 31, 2007, she had a good three posts done.

And so I started blogging. For a while I was able to sustain a pace of a post a day – well six per week anyway. Come February I spent more time commuting and I had to slow down, but I tried to maintain 2 per week.

The problem, though, was this. I didn’t necessarily want the whole world looking at my profile page, and tracing my userID back through all the messageboard posts I’d done and who knows, even into the chat room.

So I came up with a brilliant, and what should have been obvious, plan. I started a “mirror blog.” And so for a while I posted each post in two places. I picked up some of the good posts from the old blog and reprinted them here. After a bit I stopped posting there altogether. Then I branched out and started dj’s groovy sounds, and here I am.

So while my blogging partner writes about her feelings, her life, her search for meaning and fulfillment, I write about beer, and obscure 50s recording artists.

But hey, I’m having fun.

Happy birthday blog.

1 comment:

Belle said...

Happy Birthday Blog - I'd forgotten it's been a year - thanks for the reminder!