Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Pens


The pen I use doesn’t look very nice. It used to look nice. It came in a velvet pen holder kind of thing, which I still have, and it’s fancy, but not so practical. The pen was a promotional item given to me by the company that laid me off in 2006. I got two, and the other one still looks new. The new one is really nice. The one I am using, though, is all scratched up. It looks like they impressed gold letters on red paint on top of a gold base. Then the red paint comes off so it has gold letters on gold. Can’t read it so well. Doesn’t matter though; I know who gave me the pen, and I’m not about to avail myself of their services anytime soon.

The company that I’m writing about, I didn’t start out working for them. I started out working for an entirely different company, and I have their pen also. It’s not as fancy, and it’s all wrapped up in plastic, and I’ve had a few of them, and they don’t write very well. But they look nice.

The last company I worked for, not counting the one I work for now, they also had pens, and I have one. It also writes black. It’s a fat one, blue sparkly with a black rubber bottom part where you put your fingers, white lettering.

All of my former-employer pens write black.

I have four Microsoft pens. Two are black and two are blue. They write nicely, and I don’t supposed Microsoft made the pens, anymore than they made DOS. One is a black pen with an orange cap. It says “Microsoft.” You can’t get more direct than that. Two of them are TechNet pens. They have this kind of weird triangle shape. TechNet is Microsoft’s network for technical people like system administrators and the like. Maybe all sysadmins have mucked up fingers from plugging in too many cables, so they have make special triangle pens for their fingers. Maybe not. And then I have an MSDN pen. That’s Microsoft Developer Network, for programmers and developers. I got all these MS pens going to Microsoft events at the Paramount and at the Convention Centre and places like that. They used to give away not just pens, but backpacks and software and books and stuff. After a while all they gave away was paper and a pen, and I quit going. I think they quit having them.

All the rest of my special pens write blue, except the Novell pen. But the rest are blue.

I have a pen from fuze HR, that’s a recruiting company. They tried to set me up with a company that specialized in XML, but they didn’t want.me, and the truth is that I didn’t want to work for them either. But I got a pen. I have a CGI pen, and I don’t remember exactly where I got that, but it’s got an hourglass figure. And then there is LMB Systems Services Inc., that’s a company that provides simultaneous translation services, and the pen only writes in one language at a time, and the colour scheme looks black, the it writes blue, and I don’t know what that means, but I’m sure it means something.

The last tech pen I have says “Novell” on it, and it doesn’t work. So I don’t know what colour it doesn’t write.

Well that’s almost it; I have an FRI pen, it’s a translucent red, and I’m not sure that a financial company should distribute red coloured pens, although it does write blue, and I have a pen that says “Mon Frére” on it; my sister gave me that, sweet eh? It’s a big fat green one. And it… oh no oh no, my sister is *not* green.





I keep all my pens in a plastic box in a space in my desk, and they will stay there for a very long time. I will bequeath them to my children, and perhaps to my grandchildren. As it is I probably write about 20 words a week, mostly just grocery lists, and I think that the average pen has the capacity for 4,567,789 words. So I would have to live 4392 years to use all these pens, at the rate of 20 words per week, and Methusela only lived 969 years, and he didn’t buy groceries. And he used a pencil…

3 comments:

Belle said...

I won't write with anything but a black pen if I can help it... silly huh?

Anonymous said...

Me neither. Neurotic huh?

Anonymous said...

I like you hobby. Do you like to keep watches