Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Soup with Green Pepper!


Sunday I made supper. I do that sometimes.
Here's what I made:




  • soup
  • salad
  • salmon patties
  • potatoes
  • peas


I didn't use any recipes. Here's how I made the soup:

  • chop up onion, celery, green pepper, and fry
  • chop up garlic, and add to frying vegetables
  • add water
  • slice carrots and put them in the water
  • add barley
  • add salt and pepper, and find other fun spices, and add randomly: oregano, cumin, cayenne pepper, etc
  • add a can of romano beans
  • boil soup for a while
  • add thin egg noodles

    My kids bug me that I make the same soup every week. Of course this is patently untrue. The soup they think I make every week is chickpea soup, which has chickpeas, tomatoes, and onions. So now I can't put tomatoes and beans into the same soup ever, or I get daddy you made the same soup again!

    This time I had this scintillating talk with my 17 year old daughter:

    You put GREEN PEPPER in the soup. Daddy you are so FUNNY!

    So what. There are soup recipes with green pepper

    They are FUNNY recipes!

    They liked the soup.

    I have been told in no uncertain terms not to put celery into salad. The salad is therefore:

    • green leaf lettuce

    • grape tomatoes

    • green pepper

    • English cucumber

    They like the salmon patties too. Here's the recipe:

    • 2 cans of salmon
    • 3 eggs
    • Salt
    • Pepper
    • Garlic powder
    • Onion powder
    • Something else
    • A couple spoonfuls of hot vegetable sauce, which has been sitting in the fridge for months, and which really isn't so hot after all
    • A bit of barbecue sauce
    • Fry

    The potatoes are just potatoes and the peas are just peas. My wife said I want mashed potatoes. She said, make the potatoes and I will mash some. She said make lots. I made 15 potatoes. I think we ate about 9. I think she mashed one.
    The other thing I get is you ALWAYS make salmon patties (or tuna patties, as the case may be). Or course I only make one or the other every two months or so, but it doesn't matter. I could make once every ten years, and I would still get you ALWAYS make etc etc.

    Next Sunday I think I will make bean casserole. Let them complain about that.

1 comment:

Belle said...

If you cook for me, I won't complain - promise... my momma always said food tastes better when someone else cooks it and after cooking for all these years I have to agree... it sure does!