Saturday, August 7, 2010

Not Pastry, Just.... Ok, Pastry

Ok, I like cinnamon buns. They’re not buns really. They are “danishes.” La de da. I’m not entirely sure what the difference is. Perhaps danishes are fancier; perhaps they cost more. I think, though, that if you’d walk into a bakery and request a cinnamon bun, they may look at you funny.
I know what a croissant is, that’s easy. You can tell by the shape. I don’t mind croissants, especially if someone else bought it; if I buy, though, I prefer a Danish, especially one with icing. I don’t think the icing makes it taste any different, but I think it makes me feel different. I makes me feel like I get icing.

So cinnamon danishes. And pecan buns. I really like pecan buns. But I don’t think that they are danishes at all. They are just buns. And they have pecans and they have artificial cherries. That’s really decadent I think, artificial cherries, and I wouldn’t go eating them out of the jar or anything. But on pecan buns somehow they work.

Now let’s talk about the black and white. I use the singular because the plural makes me uncomfortable. A black and white is just a cookie that’s half black and half white, no magic. Very rich they are. There are big ones and small ones, and I can’t eat a big one in one sitting. Now remember, I have no trouble ingesting a pecan bun. But a black and white...

Ordering them is awkward. People generally say “black and whites;” “I’ll have a dozen black and whites”, but somehow it doesn’t sound right to me, like you’re getting many whites, but only one black. I thought of blacks and white, (you know? Like brothers-in-law) but that doesn’t work at all. Blacks and whites might be okay; I’ve tried that: “I’ll have 6 blacks and whites” but then they look at me funny. So I just buy them where you don’t have to ask for them, or in extremis I’ll say give me 7 of those black and white cookies, acting like an out-of-towner who’s never seen them before. (I was introduced to, ahem, blacks and whites after living here about a month, I’ve never seen them anywhere else). One time I asked for 6 whites and 3 blacks, but they threw me out of the bakery.

That’s it, really, for pastry, except for those apple things. I get them sometimes for breakfast at the hospital. I’m not sick, I just go there for breakfast because I like the pastry. The apple things, they have this spiral shape, and the apple goo in the middle, and I like to eat around the spiral, but then I’m left with just the goo, which is tasty but not all that easy to hold, and so I have to eat across the spiral, but we all have to make sacrifices…

2 comments:

Life Student said...

There is a very famous episode of Seinfeld where Jerry declaims on the merits, both symbolic and culinary, of the black and white cookie. He eats one, then promptly throws up, ending his fourteen-year no-vomiting streak.

I've actually made black and white cookies myself, and they are a pain in the ass to ice. But the kids enjoy doing it.

Belle said...

Would you believe there were "little" and "big" black and white cookies at the Fresh Market on Hilton Head last week! I almost bought them... almost... wasn't sure if the kids would eat them and goodness knows I didn't need to be left alone with them. But they did make me think go YOU!